Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My lips are numb

Bill was in charge at the grocery store last night to get the produce on the list for my shrimp ceviche. I needed either a serrano or jalapeno pepper. He comes back with this little dinky pepper which I was afraid was going to fall out the bottom of the cart because Bill never puts produce in those environmentally evil bags. "You're sure this is it?" I ask. "Yes, that's it" he answered exasperatedly (he believes he knows all things culinary).

So I am just about to marinate my shrimp already marinating in half a citrus orchard in a concontion of tomato, onion, cilantro and this pepper. I dice everything up. I get to the pepper. It looks stupid. It only cost $0.03. I am totally thinking Bill is wrong and ruined my recipe. I chop it like he told me to. It smells like a green pepper. I keep the seeds separate like he told me to. I get ready to put it in the big bowl. This is not the right pepper, I keep telling myself. I take the bittiest babiest smallest tiniest little piece and touch my mouth. Now my lips are numb. Dang! that was hot. I hate it when he's right.

No comments: