Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Images from my time across the pond

It was one of the craziest things I've done lately but me and Half Pint flew to London for my dear friend Lizzie's wedding. I left on a Wednesday morning, drove to Chicago, got on the red eye and landed in London Thursday morning. My friend, Amanda who luckily had business in London the next week, met me for our three days of English fun. Lizzie picked us up at the airport but her car wouldn't start So here is a picture of a Heathrow security guard doing something to her battery. We ended up getting the car jumped. Interesting English fact #1... it is not called AAA there but only AA - i suppose one A is for American Amanda and I checked into our hotel, took showers and away we went. We took the underground into the city and got tickets to the evening show of Wicked which Amanda has never seen. We then just walked around and ended up in St James park which is just lovely. It was a full day on Thursday, we didn't get back to our hotel until midnight and Amanda didn't sleep at all on her red eye flight so we were exhausted.
After sleeping like 13 hours, we woke up on Friday afternoon and just bummed around the town Lizzie lives in. Later in the afternoon we went to help decorate the hall for the reception. Lizzie's church is much like ours, homeless. They meet in a school hall/cafeteria so we decorated it to look not so cafeteria-ish. After decorations were done, the ladies went to a local pub, the Swan and Bottle, for dinner and drinks. I brought Lizzie some stuff for her honeymoon including this cute tank top which says "I said Yes" in fun bedazzles.
Lizzie and Phil got married in this 16th century church called St John the Baptist. There pastor did most of the service but the offical part was done by the Vicor. It was remarkably beautiful inside. Her mom, Loretta, got into the English mother-of-the-bride spirit and wore this fantastic hat.
Lizzie and her dad
This picture does a little justice to the inside of the church, but not as much as I would like. Phil and Lizzie left the church to 'Ring of Fire' by Johnny Cash... apparently he's huge in England.
Here are the three of us as we walked to the reception site.
I love this picture of me and Lizzie. The sunlight makes us look almost angelic or something like that. Unclear why the bottom of the picture is gray.
Amanda and I had a great time drinking our tea with milk and putting clotted cream and jam on our scones. Jenny, a friend of Lizzie's who is pro American and very helpful, sat next to us helping us not look stupid.
Lizzie and Phil left all smiles to the honeymoon to the Canary Islands.
The flight was long going over, but I slept. The flight was longer coming back due to something about flying into the earth's rotation and I didn't sleep much at all. I was exhausted most of the time I was there. Despite all the money it cost and the sheer fatigue of pulling such a trip off, I wouldn't have missed it for anything. I met Lizzie as a sweet funny freshman at Canastota High who knew not much of God. She is now a sweet funny lover of Jesus who married a man of God and their relationship is a testimony to what God has done in their lives. Lizzie introduced me as the person who introduced her to Jesus and that just made me smile. And now Half Pint is a world traveler, two different countries (Mexico and UK) and not even 14 weeks old yet.



No comments: