Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

keeping it on the front burner

Bill and I have talked since before we had Lucas about trying to hold sacred 'our time'; even just a little bit of 'our time'. We wanted to make sure we kept this on the front burner while our life changed so we wouldn't wait until Lucas was 2 or 4 or 6 to realize our marriage had suffered perhaps beyond repair. That is one reason we have been so strict about Lucas' schedule and bedtime. Firstly it makes for a happier, not overtired baby but also we have our evenings together. I will admit we are not great at spending this time together every evening. A lot of times the minute Lucas sticks his thumb in his mouth and rolls onto his side asleep for the night, we are in two different directions. I may head out to run errands or take a run or do charts or catch up on facebook or veg out to watch some mindless TV. We may be getting a sitter and running to a school concert, the free medical clinic or a basketball game. We became aware of this a few months ago and started to have 'in home' date nights. I'll admit we are not that great at these either but we are keeping them on the front burner. We have spent a few nights playing a game together or watching a movie. I am proud of us for at least trying to keep it on the front burner. We did want to try to get away for a night. At first this was a weekend but then we decided that was too long to be away. Aunt Susie graciously said she'd watch the bug so we could get away for the night. We got a hotel room about a mile away from Susie and planned our 'time away'. It was a perfect 24 hours.

First we dropped of the bug with a TON of things which is ridiculous b/c he is so little. I gave Susie like a TON of instructions which is also ridiculous b/c she's a way better, more seasoned mom than I'll ever be but she graciously listened to it all. Then we headed to Scott County Park and ran the Frostbite Footrace. It is a 8K race outside running around this beautiful park. Bill ran it two years ago when it was -1F without the windchill. This year it was 30F with no wind. It was great weather to run in. Bill ran in shorts. I have never run that far before but one foot in front of the other and I made it. Bill beat his best 8K time ever and got 3rd in his age group. I beat the time I had in my head by 11 minutes and ran under 10 minute miles which was my goal. I am running about 8:50 miles when I run a 5K at race pace so my goal was under 10 minute miles for the 8K. I did it. Finished in 48:50. After the race we went to Tantra which is a favorite restaurant of mine (thanks Fran). I had mango coconut fried rice with tofu-- freakin' yumilicious. Then we stopped at Toys-r-us for a little shopping. Checked into the hotel. Took a nap. Hit Target for more shopping and then Biaggi's for dinner. We had to wait for our table for about 30 minutes and it was just great to sit and chat. We looked at pics on my ipod touch and challenged each other to a game of Twiddle (thanks Jordan). Dinner was great. Biaggi's has my favorite, white chocolate bread pudding-- freakin' yumilicious round 2. Then we headed back to the hotel. Watched some TV, read and got great night of sleep. We headed back to get the bug about 11 am and it was so great to see his smiling face and flapping penguin arms of excitement when walked in.

I am proud of us for keeping 'our time' on the front burner and for making the effort to get away even for the night. It is so much easier to talk about than to actually do. It was great to have the time to reconnect with Bill. It was wonderful to have Lucas so well taken care of. Thanks Aunt Susie-- you're the best!

No comments: