Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Friday, August 8, 2008

and I even worn nylons

I had a job interview last Friday. I haven't even posted about this being an opportunity so I am sure some of you are shocked to hear it. It was an interview to be the on the PA school faculty here in the College of Medicine. It was for the Clinical Director who is the person who works closely with the 2nd year students to get all their rotations set up. I would be doing a fair bit of direct teaching but even more administrative work. I think I am too young for this job, only 4 years out of school. I think I have so much more to learn. I was pretty reluctant to put in my CV for the job in the first place and all of a sudden found myself in the second interview phase with it down to me and one other candidate. The interview went well; it wasn't really an interview at all because I know the faculty so well that it was just like being with family for a long day of talking in nice clothes. This job is probably were I want to end up in the next 5-10 years. I right now am so content and fulfilled at my current position. I work only 3 days a week, get paid a lot of cash for it and enjoy having those days off. I have so much flexibility. I took 8 weeks of vacation last year without using any vacation time. This job would be back to 5 days a week, bringing work home etc. I would still work in the ER one shift a week. I really like teaching, but get to teach as students come through the ER and I am a clinical mentor for one of the 2nd year medical school classes. I love the mix I have right now of flexibility, clinical work, teaching and free time. I kept an open mind during the interview but came home thinking it just isn't the right fit for me right now. I hated having to make the call to the program director and tell him that I don't think I could accept the job even if it was offered to me so to please take me out of the process. I didn't want them to do all the paperwork to actually give me an official offer if I was just going to say no and having had wasted all their time. It was a hard call to make but I feel so at peace with the decision. The program director sounded on the phone that he expected me to call. He said he thinks they may have pushed me into it too early and that he hoped I would consider it again in the future. I am glad I went through the experience and I even worn nylons (Bill thinks that is an old fashioned word and I should say pantyhose but that doesn't sound much better).
p.s. I helped the faculty out with grading the first year students doing their physical exams yesterday. it was really fun and not awkward and reassured me that I made the right decision.

No comments: