Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

An ode to Trey Tyson

16 years ago yesterday I made a commitment to follow Jesus. It was a rainy night at Saranac Village in upstate NY when during the 20 minutes (a time of silence at YL camp for kids to think about all they have heard about Jesus) I stood on the porch of the adult guest house soaking wet thinking and praying and crying and deciding. Yesterday I went running in my Virginia Military Academy shorts. I wear my VMA shorts in memory of my camp boyfriend, Trey Tyson (who went to college at VMA), who 'broke my heart' on that last day of camp by 'hanging out' with another girl from my school (who could remain nameless but won't, Sarah DeWan :-) ). My 'broken heart' is what led me to cry out to Jesus that night and decide I wanted to follow someone who would never break my heart. So here's to you, Trey Tyson. All the things I have done in the name of Jesus; all the people I have told about Jesus; all the ways in which Jesus has blessed and changed my life are indirectly because you were a schmuck to me at YL camp 16 years ago. I am eternally grateful.

4 comments:

Stacey P said...

It was a good night and I remember ducking out of the rain and sitting in Shorecrest with Marsha. I like sharing that date with you... it's a reminder that even 912 miles away, there is something to be said for history and shared memories.

Stacey D said...

You're awesome Katie!

The Lemans said...

he sounds like a creep...but god used it all for good. also, i like that verse on the top of your page!

The Lemans said...

that was aj - katie you are my inspiration. i love your story!