Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Forgotten Race

This morning Bill and I went to Victor Iowa for the Victor 5K Fun Run to support the local playground equipment. Victor is about 45 miles from Iowa. So we drag our sorry selves out of bed and drive there to make this 8 am race. All starts fine. Quickly into the race I realize Victor is not flat. The course was really hilly. I kept just putting one foot in front of the other and slowly started passing people. When I made what had to be one of the final turns toward the end, I was all alone. No one in front of me and no one close behind me. (this is one of my biggest running fears. either being last or all alone and getting lost) I kept thinking I should be seeing the turn to get back to the track where the start/finish is. I kept running and running and then I was out of town to run in. I literally ran out of Victor. This has to be wrong, I thought, so I turned around, had to ask a guy at the gas station "Do you know where the end of the race is?" "Oh you're far from that", he said. Actually, not the helpful advice I was hoping for. I had to double back, cut across the train tracks, through a gravel lot and made it back to the track finally. The lady in charge apparently knew I was lost because the two girls who were a bit behind me noticed that I missed the turn and they were looking out for me. She felt really bad. I was pissed at the stupid course and myself. I was on pace to run my fastest 5 K ever. Bill was up on the course waiting for me. He was starting to get worried when women with strollers who were walking were coming in before me. He had visions of me being in tears out on the course having quit because the hills were just that bad. He had visions of me blowing out my knee and being unable to make it back. He was shocked when he saw me coming up the course from the finish. He finished 4th in what was his worst time ever for a 5 K. He was pissed at himself for running so slow. So here is what the car ride was like on the way home.

Bill: I can't believe I ran a 21:38.
Katie: I can't believe I got lost.
Bill: But at least you were running fast, I can't believe I ran a 21:38.
Katie: Yeah but I GOT LOST.
Bill: Fair enough.

Then we would be silent for a while and repeat the conversation again. We have decided to call it the forgotten race and not speak of it again.

p.s. we clocked my 'detour' in the car after the run and I added on another 1/2 mile. according to my final time and the distance of 3.6 miles I would have blown away my PR. I ran sub 9 minute miles. oh well there is always next week. at least I had something funny to blog about today

No comments: