Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Thursday, June 19, 2008

There sure are a lot of cops out...

So I was done getting my biannual haircut when out in the parking lot I heard the sound of a loud helicopter. Looking up I saw a large army helicopter with an American flag on it going overhead. That must be the president, I thought as I knew he was going to be touring the area today. I know this because the secret service were all over the ER a few days back scoping out the place. We were supposed to leave our trauma room open all day just in case he came in. (aside- I couldn't help but wonder if that hospital in Dallas had been told the same thing the few days before JFK Jr was shot and then no one ever expected to roll through that door what rolled through that door on that November day) Anyway, oh that's neat, I thought as the helicopter went overhead. I just saw the president's helicopter. I left the hair place turned onto a just opened road and starting seeing a lot of cops. Weird, I thought but maybe they are here because the road just opened. I went to get lunch, wound my way around town, passed like 5 more cope cars and picked up Bill at the VA. He had to run to his office so I parked myself at a meter facing Newton Rd right across from the med school. There was this 25 year old kid in a vest which says security on it standing at the exit and I did have to pass a 'do not enter, road closed' sign to get into that lot but I thought it was a mistake. Why the heck is the parking lot closed? So I am sitting and waiting. One sheriff car passes and that security kid waves. He continues to stare at me as I sit and wait for Bill.

And then it happened really fast.... two cop cars, two black SUVs one with the president's little hood flags on it, one truck with army guys with big guns in it, two more cop cars, another truck with troops in it, the Johnson County Ambulance, three or four 15 passenger vans labeled press 1, press 2, extra, another few SUVs and one last cop car. I just had front row seats to the presidential motorcade. Political opinion aside, that guy travels in ridiculous style and security. That is why there are so many cops out on the roads. GW had landed to survey the damage. Bill missed it all, finally came out and I said, I just saw the presidential motorcade go past. He said, You probably were thrilled seeing how you voted for him twice.

I guess I will never live that down.

No comments: