Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

all meant to be?

So earlier this spring Bill applied to be the assistant dean of students for the College of Medicine. He made it down to the last two but ultimately did not get the job which he was OK with. The person who got the job happens to be head of the PA program, Dave Asprey. I applied for a PA faculty position last year but withdrew my name before the final decision because I wasn't ready to give up that much clinical work and go back to working 5 days a week. Also the faculty job I was going to have wasn't exactly what I was interested in. Who knows if I would have gotten it anyway but I made their decision easily by withdrawing my name. Well in June I was asked to speak at the White Coat Ceremony for the incoming PA class. While chatting with the faculty it came out that they were going to hire a part time faculty person to replace Dave who would be spending some of his time as the dean. I think I said something like 'that's interesting. keep me posted'. So a few weeks ago I get a phone call from the program. They are going to hire a 40% faculty which is 2 8 hour days a week. Because it is under 50% they are able to hire without advertising or interviewing so they asked me to take it. I have been really unhappy at work due to some adjustments at work and a new computer system which is so un-user friendly and being away from TBL for 12 hours a day. I have been thinking about going part time even before this opportunity came up. It seemed like a great mix so after praying about it, talking with Bill about it and my PA friends at work, I decided to take it. So starting Sept 1st I am going to be 40% Associate professor for the PA program (which happens to be #1 again this year- go Hawks!) and 50% ER PA which means I work 6 shifts a month (every Tuesday and one weekend per month). So I'll total be 90% which means 90% of my salary, retirement, vacation and sick time but still 100% of my health benefits. I will be able to pick up other random shifts if needed as well to get extra cash. It just seems perfect and I'm so excited about the change. The faculty job is only a 1 year contract renewable every July so if it is terrible I can always change back. It seems really meant to be and strangely ironic that I only have this opportunity because Bill didn't get the job he applied for. God works in mysterious ways.

2 comments:

ABG said...

Lighter, I think! :)

The Lemans said...

mysterious indeed! thats sounds great! way to go!