Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Friday, January 2, 2009

Mazatlan Update

Yesterday was New Years Day so as a holiday here we did not work. Bill and I and two other guys from our group went to our friends, Kyle and Ellen's, to watch the Outback bowl which Kyle gets streaming through his parents cable from Champaign Ill. He somehow streams it through the internet to his TV. Their internet connection was moving slow and the game was choppy and at times made it feel like you had macular degeneration and couldn't focus but nonetheless it was fabulous. Kyle made awesome homemade fresh pico de gallo and Ellen spoiled us with pumpkin bread and fresh brownies in their toaster oven. Their generosity to feed us while letting us watch the game was amazing and made the four of us feel like we had won a reward on Survivor. As their cable is streaming from Champaign Ill, we saw a few Menards commercials and J Leman advertise for a car dealer which made us feel closer to home :-)

Today was our first day at clinic. We were at Valles; the day started slow but we ended up seeing about 90 patients. Half of our team, mainly the kids, went to paint at a different colonia and they did an amazing job. The stories I heard and the pictures I saw were awesome. Apparently no one grumbled and they got a lot more done than even the church done here expected. It was great to hear their stories when we got back together tonight. The medical clinic ran relatively smoothly so that was good. I'm really tired as are the rest of us. Tomorrow we have a long day at another colonia as we will be helping feed the kids in the morning and then having clinic all afternoon. I'll try to blog more tomorrow night.

Bill and I can't believe Ol Miss beat Texas Tech which proves my theory that I think the Big 12 South is all about high power offense... they are like the NBA of college football. Also I can't believe Utah is going to beat pretty boy John Parker Wilson and Alabama. Utah should be playing for the National Championship Game next week. The BSC sucks and I hope our new president, Barack Obama, can make a change to the playoff system which actually works. I am excited to watch Texas kick the crap out of Ohio State on Monday and can't wait to hear the analysts talk about how weak the Big 10 is all the while singing the praises of the Hawkeyes, the only Big 10 team to win their bowl game. Go Hawks!

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Truth be told, I'm a Carolina alumnus (Go Gamecocks!) and so my allegiance was a bit torn as we watched the game from our cabin perched on a mountain in North Carolina called Grumbling Bald (hmmm, kinda reminds me of a certain doctor in Mazatlan about now). Still, I was glad to see the Hawks win in the end.