Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ready for the trip

So there is this box sitting on our kitchen table. It was a box that my mom sent Gabby's Christmas present in. What's this box here for? I ask Bill. It has football men in it, he answers. Now most of you know that Bill plays electric football which is this game from the 80s with little plastic men on these stands that move by vibrating around. Bill sets up plays and has this entire way to figuring out which team wins. The table/field currently resides in our living room. All the teams live in these giant boxes with small drawers most like meant for screws/nuts/bolts/fishing lures. It is totally geek to the core but a past time that he enjoys, keeps him at home with me and out of trouble. When I first asked what the football men were doing in the box, he said they were in the hospital. (see thanksgiving post about Bill as a boy nursing back to health his plastic mouse friend named Boxer who had an unfortunate parachuting accident). But then he said, no they are not in the hospital, they are packed and ready to go to your folks this weekend so I can paint them. I got him some plain colored teams for his birthday and he is painting them to look like college teams. We will be traveling to New York with the Texas Longhorns-to-be in a box. Hook em horns!
You open the box and it has a picture from Sports Illustrated of the jersey he is trying to recreate.
Then you take the piece of foam out and find the team in their traveling compartments he cut out of foam. I said why does everyone get a private place and not those 4 on the left? Those are for practice painting, Bill said. Guess they won't make the team.
He thinks I am always making fun of him and his electric football, but I find it most endearing and hopes he teaches Lucas about imagination and care for all toys big and small.
Oh I had to get a picture of him this morning because I just really like his outfit and I think he's cute.

4 comments:

Stacey P said...

Eat some Pavone's pizza for me. Funny thing, my parents tried to convince me to come home this weekend for the Syracuse game, but I already had plans to be in New York city. Some day we'll end up in the village at the same time.

MaestraBenefield said...

ha ha ha

The Lemans said...

hilarious. and bill looks fetching.

Kyle said...

Ok, so I was looking over some of your blogs...this electric football one caught my interest. I even did some research, because I had no clue what electric football was...must have been before my time. However, there is a lot of stuff out there for these things. I saw on ebay that they have different super bowl sets and tables and different little guys with different uniforms...who would have known that such a subculture could have existed without my knowing!?!