Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bill's back in the hardware and I didn't finish last

It was a successful day for the Iverson at the Friendly Sons of St Patrick's 25th Annual 5K Run. We woke up early and headed west to Des Moines for this road race. Bill has been nursing an injured foot for the last two weeks and has not been running his usual training. Just to put it in perspective, I have run more this week than he has. Here is us before the start.
Bill got 14th overall out of 138 men in the 5K and 2nd out of 34 in his age group (40-49). So he is back in the hardware taking home a trophy. He ran 20:40 which is 14 seconds off his personal best which is amazing given his lack of training and a sore foot. The sore foot has really gotten him down the last two weeks and made him dramatic like "My running career is over." "All my conditioning is gone. I will run like an old man". I don't pay much attention to his drama of the day when it comes to his running and knew he could do it and he did in grand fashion.


No trophies for me, but I did get my personal best by 21 seconds. I ran a 30:22 and got 24th in my age group out of 54 women (30-39). I also finished 71st out of 159. Now that is respectable for the girl who has been known to finish last. Here is a picture of me outside Sully's Irish Pub where there was free post race beer and the awards were held in the pool room.



1 comment:

Erica Byers said...

Way to go Bill and Katie...for now my running career is over, unless you count running after the kids while I wait for the baby to get here and then a few more weeks after that. I have really been inspired, if only my knees will agree when the time comes. Also...is that a Happy Valley T-shirt I see??? Kate, just wondering how many bags of leaves Bill filled??? and you really should have waited for Gabi to help you. The fun sarcasm alone would have made it more enjoyable. I bet Nile would have even liked to try out the big yellow hands...well, maybe that's a stretch. :)