Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Demoralization

Ok I am totally demoralized about these stupid curtain rods. It has been a saga. (If you are new to my blog and don't know what I am trying to accomplish with new window trimming, check out my old blog entitled Help Wanted! and you'll see the before pictures including my nemesis, the bay window) I first bought an entire set that I liked from Bed Bath and Beyond only to figure out the wall attachment apparatus was very confusing and looked weird when assembled. Also the entire set not including the curtains was over $300 and that is just a ridiculous amount to spend, in my opinion. So I returned them all. The one thing the set from Bed Bath and Beyond had which I really need was the hinge brackets for the bay window. JC Penneys has the same hinge brackets but not with any colors/sets we like. We decided black too stark and we needed a bronzy/brownish. Then I went to Menards and Lowes and Target and Kmart and Walmart (gasp!) only to find no hinge corner brackets anywhere; but at least they were cheaper. I take that back Lowes has the hinge corners for either wood or really fat (1 3/8 in diameter) rods both sets which would have been more expensive than Bed Bath and Beyond. So I was no better off and was about to fashion some sticks from the front yard into curtain rods.
I finally got Bill to Lowes and we picked out a set we liked without the hinge bracket. He said we'd figure something out. Valiant thought but we're not Kate or Dani or my dad so I don't know who he thinks between the two of us will figure it out :-) This is where my demoralization comes in. I really want to use clip rings so the corner of the bay window needs to be flush and continuous or it will look odd. My other option is to forego the clip rings and just hang the curtain on the rod so at the corner the curtain will cover up the small gap in the rod. I am beginning to feel as if this bay window is the bane of my existence. I can't be the only person ever not wanting to spend a fortune who happens to have a bay window in their house. I have added some pictures and need advice. Maybe I do forego my dream of clip rings and just hang them. Maybe someone out there, aka my dad or Kate or Dani, can jerryrig something at the corner. No one is going to look that closely. The reason I like the clip rings is that I think it makes the curtain hang more evenly and not look so bunchy.
Here is a picture of my two options... clip rings or no clip rings. Regardless I think the color looks nice. Sage was Kate's idea.
I just like how this looks. It is especially important for the small window in this room so that the entire window is not covered by fabric as the curtains are probably 'too wide' for that window but I got all the same ones for the entire room.

Here is the 'bunch' option. Any way to make this bunch more evenly especially at the ends??
Here is the exact angle I have to overcome. I mean seriously a piece of black chewing gum may work. The end of the rods have a screw hole in them so they are not hollow. The corner turners at JCPenney and Bed Bath and Beyond fit into hollow rods. Bill thinks he can cut the end of the rod until they are hollow and use the ones from the other stores. These rods are 3/4 inch in diameter and they are considered dark brown.

I was so demoralized when I left Lowes for like the millionth time today I had to stop at Starbucks drive thru on my way home. I think I keep going back in hopes that they will suddenly be stocking hinge brackets in the diameter and color I need or that I'll just walk up and down all the aisle and suddenly get an inspiration or look lost enough to have someone stop and help. Hey their slogan is "Let's build something together". Back to Starbucks, at least I had the self control to get the skinny caramel frappachino and not the one loaded on top with whipped cream even though that is what I wanted. I employed a strategy I learned from Ali in weight watchers...before you eat, you should H.A.L.T. Ask yourself are you hungry? angry? lonely? or tired? or just demoralized by curtain rods? I got a vente and it was gone before I got home... ooo that was tasty even without the whipped cream!

No comments: