Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Peck Peck Peck

Ok I saw this card once which said having kids is like getting pecked to death by chickens or something like that. I thought it was funny, theoretically speaking until this weekend. And the disclaimer here is that Gabby and Nile are not my children but I do love them, would jump in front of a bus for them and greatly enjoy having them in my life. But, sweet mother of Abe Lincoln, Nile has been pecking me to death this weekend with questions. Nile wants to buy something with his hard earned chore and school money combined with upcoming birthday money (6/11). First it was a cell phone but we said he can't have that until he is 13 which is rule in our house. Then it was the air soft bb gun which isn't supposed to hurt but I have seen two puncture wounds in the ER in recent weeks made by these 'benign' toys. Then it was a go kart and now it a laptop; our rule is no wireless internet in our house in their rooms only in public places but we can't find any reasons to say no a laptop. We have decided to forego Christmas presents as a family which will make the kids birthday presents bigger. We (Bill I mean) perhaps got ourselves into a pickle by getting Gabby her birthday present early (she was born on 8/16) this year because it was a new Ipod to replace hers which she is giving her best friend who is about to move away. Nile thinks that means he will get his sooner as well. Anyhow, back to the laptop. Bill defers all questions regarding things which plug in to me, the 'technical' one in the family. Nile has been obsessing asking two millions questions about laptops. We have made several trips to Best Buy followed up by phone calls and trips to Office Depot and now he has found the ONE he can afford. And so it goes.

What is an ethernet port? Do I need that? Is 6 lb too heavy to put in a messenger bag because I saw a cool messenger lap top bag? Can I get a wireless card? How many USB ports do I need? Should I buy a printer? I don't really need a protection plan, do I? What is a parallel port? How fast does the internet run? Can I play Axis and Allies on that computer? What is RAM? How many megabytes in a gigabyte (I had to call my dad about that one)? I am not bothering you, am I? I am just excited. (Bill - I don't want to hear any more about the computer. Nile- I am not talking to you, I'm talking to Katie and I told her to tell me if I was bothering her and she hasn't said anything so I am still talking) So do you think I can buy this today? The sale only lasts until the 12th. Gabby got her present early so couldn't I just this once? (Ask your father, I say to that --- he is the one who got us in the mess in the first place :-) ) and so on... it is non stop. Sweet little dude is sure inquisitive which is a good quality and he reports it is question asking which made him so smart when he was a kid. I pointed out that he is still a kid. I don't find that card about being pecked to death by chickens so theoretically funny anymore.

Addendum:
This just happened..."When I am done buying my laptop and all its accessories, I am going to save my money for a car or a moped. I don't want to buy stupid things and then at 16 not have a car and everyone think I'm a dork. So how many miles per gallon does a moped get? How much do they cost? I think it would be good for around town and in college, right? Probably not in the winter? How dangerous is a moped? How many people have you seen in the ER from moped accidents? (me- Ben from church almost died when he got hit by a minivan on his moped. nile- really, the Ben I know? followed by a thoughtful pause) Was he wearing a helmet? I mean I'd wear a helmet. I think a moped is a good idea. I don't know, I'm only 11 and I have years until I need to get it"

2 comments:

Shanel said...

May I recommend newegg.com? You can get a lot more for your money in a computer verses going to places like BestBuy and OfficeMax. Just a thought.

Boom said...

This is FRIGHTENING because I just know that my little boy will be exaaaaactly like this one day. His incessant jabber already sends me through the roof...what will I do when jabber becomes DIALOGUE? QUESTIONS that require ANSWERS?

Yikes.