Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Glutton

I am a glutton for 'chick lit'. I am a sucker for the catchy title and the fun cover. I love to read those books that make you laugh out loud but when you try to explain it to your husband he doesn't get it. The more romantically challenged, shopping tempted, potentially British the main character the more I love the book. I went to the library to get books for our 10 day family vacation which we leave for on Wed night. I think I overdid it, I am a glutton for these books. I am also a glutton for shoes and purses, but at least library books are free. I love to scope out the books at Barnes and Noble and Target and wherever, keeping a list of titles in my purse and then getting them all at the library. I feel somehow as if I'm cheating the system; all this enjoyment without spending a penny. That is probably why libraries were invented in the first place. Here is what I got; I know a few are serious, but I think the rest are just fluff. I can't wait, are we on the beach yet?

Big Boned by Meg Cabot (sequel to Size 12 is not fat and Size 14 is not fat either)
First Comes Love and Here Comes the Bride by Whitney Lyles
Babyville (no Mom I'm not pregnant), Straight Talking and Swapping Lives by Jane Green
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Cause Celeb and Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding
The Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

I got home with my large stack of books and this is what my husband said, "Geesh leave any books in the library? What you do plan on doing on vacation? Not talking to us the entire time?"
Damn, I thought, is it that obvious?

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

So I'm guessing you've probably heard of her, but have you read any of Sohpie Kinsella's books? She has 4 in the Shopaholic series and 2 additional ones. They're total fluff and are SO GOOD!

You've got to make a book budget when you come to England because they have a niche in this market and always have big sales on them. Don't let the American versions fool you, the English ones are still better. Even in Bridget Jones.

Stacey P said...

I have the same list in my purse and Target is my favorite to scope out the chick lit titles -(They provide so many of them right at the end of the aisle to call me.) Then I go to the library.... do you think they subliminally taught us to do this in sixth grade?