Habbakuk 1:5b

"For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habbakuk 1:5b

Sunday, July 27, 2008

There and Back Again Part 3

One last picture from the aquarium. Seahorses are my favorite marine animal. It is a long story, but I didn't know seahorses were real until I was 25. I thought they were mythologic like unicorns. The story how I found out is actually quite hysterical and perhaps better for a seahorse dedicated only post. Bill, Gabby and I signed up for the Battle of Atlanta Double Quick 5K to commemorate the Battle of Atlanta which is was the beginning of the end for Atlanta and right before Sherman burned it all and marched to the sea. Nile was supposed to run but he wanted to stay at the hotel and sleep and swim so his cousin Megan took his place. Susie, Bill's sister, went with us as well to run. We were contacted by the race organizers about 2 weeks before we left because they were curious why a family from Iowa was signed up for their race. They wanted to know our story to put us in the press release about the race. We felt the pressure to represent the Hawkeye state. Here is our Iowa gang after the race.
Well Gabby got first in her age group and Bill got second. It was really hot and humid day with lots of hills. I finished only 3 seconds slower than my fastest 5K ever and placed 6th in my age group. We were really pleased and felt we represented the Hawkeye state well. However the winner was this young kid (2os) who is living in California, just visiting his sister in Atlanta but was raised in Iowa. So turns out actually that Hawkeyes came and dominated the race.
We went to the MLK Jr National Historic Site and from outside this room where they said no pictures were allowed I took a picture of the rugged old cart which he was pulled in by mules at his funeral. It was a really impressive museum and very moving.
My maid of honor and childhood friend since I was 5, Marsha who is married to James, had the entire gang over for dinner on Saturday night. We had such a fun time and the evening was topped off by the two of us being able to sit around, drinking diet coke and catching up for hours.
HotLanta lived up to its name for temperature. We had a packed two days and on Sunday morning loaded up to head to the beach about 4 hours away. Nile and Gabby both woke up on the wrong side of the bed Sunday morning and Bill ended up sitting them face to face, giving them a time limit and having them apologize and figure out how to deal with each other or he was taking them home. I don't think he was bluffing. I stayed out of the intervention room and waited at the car. I was unclear how I was going to get to the beach to see my folks who were waiting for us if indeed the kids couldn't work it out and Bill took them home. I had visions of dividing our clothes out of our one suitcase and being left with a few grocery bags of possessions in the hotel parking lot as Bill headed west and my dad came to pick me up. Luckily for all involved, Nile and Gabby worked it out with 1.5 minutes to spare and we loaded up for the beach. No one spoke for the 4 hours it took to get us to the beach but with all due respect the kids worked it out nicely and that was our only major snaffu in terms of behavior on the trip.


No comments: